- He was the Chief Resident in General Surgeon 5 months in 1978 in the Department of Surgery, K.G. Medical College, Lucknow
- Held the position of Chief Resident and Senior Resident of Cardio-Thoracic Unit continuously from 1978- 1981
- Appointed to the Pool for Scientists and Technologists Constituted by the Council Of Scientific and Industrial at Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Unit, Department of surgery, K.G. Medical College, Lucknow from 20/5/81 – 17/9/81. The department of Cardiac surgery gave the opportunity to independently perform over 25 Open Heart Operations and assisted more than 200 Open Heart Operations besides many Thoracic and Vascular procedures.
- He was a Lecturer in the Thoracic Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, Lucknow University for 2 years (1982 – 1984). He was one of the first surgeon to use Internal Mammary Artery Bypass for Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery. This technique was adopted after his training in USA. During the tenure as a Consultant with Apollo Hospital, Madras, he went overseas many times for advanced training and for seminars and conferences.
- Apollo Health City, Hyderabad – In the year 1991 September, established a modern high-tech Cardio-Thoracic Department at Apollo Hospital, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad and presently continuing as Chief Cardio-Thoracic Surgeon since then. One among the first Cardiac Surgeons to have started doing Redo Coronary Bypass Surgeries (Repeat Bypass surgery) in India. This is considered to be one of the most complicated form of Coronary Bypass surgery. Earlier all such patients requiring Redo surgery had to go out of the country for this procedure.
At Hyderabad Apollo Hospital he has operated on 10300 patients for Cardio-Thoracic Surgeries, out of which 8588 patients underwent Open Heart Surgeries including 6299 patients Coronary Bypass Surgeries, 2289 patients for Valve Replacements and Congenital Cardiac Corrections, and Miscellaneous Cardiac Surgeries.
He popularized the advanced techniques of Coronary Bypass surgery like routine use of INTERNAL MAMMARY ARTERY GRAFT, CORONARY ENDARTERECTOMIES, BYPASS SURGERY ON BEATING HEARTS, MINIMAL INVASIVE CORONARY BYPASS SURGERIES (MIDCAB), and use of RADIAL ARTERY for bypass graft and other arterial conduits for the Bypass surgeries.
Performed surgeries on many children and small babies born with birth defects of the heart. Many infants were operated for complex Congenital defects using the technique of Profound Hypothermia with Circulatory Arrest.
Several hundred heart operations were performed on overseas patients at Hyderabad Apollo Hospital by our unit. These include patients from Tanzania (128 patients), Kenya (14 patients), Bangladesh (22 patients), Srilanka (4 patients), Malaysia (8 patients), Saudi Arabia (15 patients), UAE (42 patients), UK (1 patient), USA (3 patients), Singapore (5 patients), Indonesia (4 patients), Nepal (14 patients), Pakistan (2 patients).
Also successfully performed many advanced and problematic & complicated cardiac surgeries generally not acceptable at other Cardiac Surgery centers.
One among the first Cardiac Surgeons to have started doing Redo Coronary Bypass Surgeries (Repeat Bypass surgery) in India. This is considered to be one of the most complicated form of Coronary Bypass surgery. Earlier all such patients requiring Redo surgery had to go out of the country for this procedure.
Have given several guest lectures at various conferences and organizations and also in many medical education programs at National and Regional level Academic Conferences.
Overseas Work & Training
(a) 1985 CARDIAC MEDICAID Fellowship in USA for 3 months at
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesotta
The Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Los Angeles
Dr. Dudley Johnson’s Unit at Milwaukee
(b) 1988 Attended Paediatric Surgery Programme at Royal Children
Hospital, Melbourne, Australia with Dr. Roger B Mee, would renowned authority on Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
(c) 1991 Special Training for Heart Transplantation at Abbots,
North Western Hospital, Minneapolis Heart Institute, Minneapolis, USA for 4 weeks.
(d) 1996 Attended Official Training Workshop Programme (LE
CLUB MITRALE) for Mitral Valve Repair Surgery, conducted by Dr. Alen Carpentier at Florida, USA
Dr. Alen Carpentier is a very senior Cardiac Surgeon from Paris, France and he is a world authority for Mitral Valve Repair Surgery